[arch-dev-public] Default DEBUG_CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS provided with pacman 4.1

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 31 19:46:17 EDT 2013

On 01/04/13 07:53, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am 31.03.2013 16:08, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> On 27/03/13 12:49, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Note with gcc-4.8:
>>>
>>> DWARF4 is now the default when generating DWARF debug information. When
>>> -g is used on a platform that uses DWARF debugging information, GCC will
>>> now default to -gdwarf-4 -fno-debug-types-section.
>>>

>> Any comments?  You have ~12 hours...
>>
>> I will use "-g -fvar-tracking-assignments" if no-one comments otherwise.
>
> What are the consequences here for packages? Does this increase package
> size by a large margin and will it slow down programs a lot? (Maybe
> break it down for people who are not that familiar with gcc and its new
> features; maybe you'll get more feedback then)

I will re-post this link then:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Debugging-Options.html

It theoretically should do nothing to the package.  These options just
ensure somewhat useful debugging symbols are generated during compile
(which would slow down), but there are all removed during stripping...

Allan