[arch-dev-public] Dropping compiz?

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Wed May 8 11:10:22 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b at bpiotrowski.pl>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to drop compiz from [community] to AUR. Although 0.8.9 has
> been tagged 5 weeks ago, 0.8.x branch doesn't get any serious changes
> and shouldn't be used anywhere.
>
> I see some development in 0.9.x (at least bug fixes), additionally it's
> used as compositor in Ubuntu, but I don't have required knowledge to
> judge whether it can be used without Unity and we should support it or not.
>
> What do you thunk?
>
> --
> Bartłomiej Piotrowski
> http://bpiotrowski.pl/

György Balló sent me this e-mail a couple of weeks ago:

stable release of Compiz. You can check the discussion thread here:
https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-dev/maillist.html#00623

I think we could consider version 0.9.9.0 as stable, and update the current
packages in the [community] repository. I'm using Compiz 0.9.8.6 with Unity
some weeks ago, and I didn't experience any problems. You can check the
package here:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/compiz-devel/

Unfortunately, it doesn't build currently due gcc 4.8 and boost 1.53.0
updates, but it's fixed in glib2 2.36.0 and compiz already. I'll contact
with upstream to simplify the build process.

So I think we could update compiz after GNOME 3.8 moved into [extra], and
this would allow me to move Unity into the [community] repository in the
near future.

What do you think about that?

--
György Balló
Trusted User

I invited him to take over the package or do the update, but he did not
reply to that.

I'm confused with the whole compiz/ubuntu/unity thing as well and don't
care much about it anyway, so I'm fine with dropping it completely. As my
moving to a new place is mostly completed now and I'll take up some Arch
stuff later this week, compiz is somewhere on the bottom of my todo list,
so don't count on me looking into this anytime soon.

Ronald