[arch-dev-public] Merging the "bin" directories

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 12 06:46:37 EDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 05:44 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 12.05.2013 07:22, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> I have created a TODO list with all packages that have files in /bin,
>> /sbin or /usr/sbin.  As the list is fairly long, the first pass will be
>> to adjust as many packages as possible to install their files in
>> /usr/bin instead.  Some packages clearly can not have that done and will
>> have to wait until we are prepared to replace those directories with
>> symlinks.
>
> List of showstoppers:
>
> - Shells (with hardcoded paths in users' passwd)
> - fsck helpers (all hardcoded to be in /sbin)
> - Binaries that are used in services outside their package (obviously,
> we then need to fix those services)
> - Binaries that are hardcoded in scripts with their paths (fix those
> scripts, actually)

Another possible:
- same filename between two package in "bin" vs "sbin". Example:

$ pacman -Qo /usr/sbin/nfsiostat
/usr/sbin/nfsiostat is owned by nfs-utils 1.2.7-1
$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/nfsiostat
/usr/bin/nfsiostat is owned by sysstat 10.1.5-1

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1