[arch-dev-public] Removing glib 1, gtk 1 and qt3

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:51:47 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> 2013/5/22 Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com>:
> > Well gtk is a depends for imlib wich is required by fvwm, the WM I use.
>
> fvwm compiles without imlib and thus without gtk1

I got an email from a Gentoo dev (Samuli Suominen) :
"imlib1 can work without gtk1, that's how we build imlib1 in Gentoo

some years ago, there was only a handful of libraries making use of the
gtk1 parts of imlib1 and those got thrown out of the portage tree

i would be suprised if there was anything left in archlinux

just build imlib1 without gtk1"

So we could build imlib without gtk. I'll probably do that change
regardless of the fate of gtk (unless we also want to get rid of imlib).
Given this new information, I'll change my -1 vote to a 0. I can continue
to maintain them as long as the maintenance is minimal. But if people want
to remove them, then I won't oppose.

Also, do all the packages depending on glib/qt3 have a maintainer? We could
certainly remove the orphaned ones.