[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [arch-commits] Commit in (9 files)

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 08:19:07 EST 2013

Am 27.11.2013 12:58, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:

>>> Usage instructions generally don't belong into install/upgrade messages.
>>> In the best case, there is no message at all.
>>>
>>> In this case, the install message contains basic systemctl commands and
>>> networking tips, none of this is specific to docker or urgent enough to
>>> be printed during pacman.
>>>

>> This package has been pushed to svn too quicly. A discussion has been
>> started in aur-general[1] and I stated that I'll managing addition.
>>
>> After a quick talk with Allan, I sent a mail to Daniel, to see if we can
>> use the name docker for the new package instead of docker-io or
>> lxc-docker. Let time to Daniel to answer.
>>
>> On the technical standpoint, this package needs refactoring, maybe build
>> the binary from the source and not use the binary provided by
>> dotcloud/docker inc. This needs more work to be done.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> [1]
>> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2013-November/026223.html
> This makes sense to me. It may be worth noting that the 'old' docker
> is installed by roughly 1% of our users, but according to their
> website is meant for use with GNOME2 and KDE3, which we don't even
> ship any more. I'd say dropping or renaming it makes the most sense
> and let this new package take the name 'docker', as that's what people
> will be looking for.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Hi,

the 'old' docker ist mainly used for windowmaker and not GNOME2 or KDE3.
Beside that it's working very well even it wasn't updated for decades.
Nevertheless I don't care what package name the 'old' docker have, so
feel free to rename it to 'docker-tray' or something similar. But I
don't see the case for moving or dropping it out of extra.

But how can we rename it without much hassle for the user? A provide
line in the PKGBUILD isn't possible if the 'new' docker is called docker
or am I wrong on this?

Cheers,
Daniel