[arch-dev-public] Rewriting dbscripts (packagers should read this!)

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 06:38:27 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Massimiliano Torromeo
<massimiliano.torromeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> This will lead to having thousands of tags in the repo.
> Does anyone have any experience with git repositories with so many tags?
> I am thinking about possible performance issues since I don't think this is
> typical git usage.

I assume we will use one git repo per PKGBUILD. The amount of tags
should stay manageable.

Putting all the packages into one repo would create too much
merge/rebase contention. Using branches to separate the packages would
mean we'd lose the use of branches to manage development, say adding a
new linux stable release in [core] while the next major release cooks
in [testing]. That has historically been rather painful in our setup,
and making it easier would also help us with staging larger projects
like GNOME releases without hindering [extra] maintenance.

In any case, git got a lot better lately in dealing with many refs.