[arch-dev-public] Git

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 03:50:24 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:55:21PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Connor Behan <connor.behan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 29/09/13 12:25 PM, Alexander R?dseth wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As I gather, we all like git better than svn, for a long list of
> >> reasons. Are there any objections to switching over from svn to git for
> >> repositories for the official packages?
> > One reason to prefer svn is that you can do a non-recursive checkout and
> > only have working copies of the packages you maintain. AFAIK, git does
> > not (want to) support this.
> >> Yes, this can not be done in a heartbeat. The tools and documentation
> >> needs to be updated and the workflow needs to be tested, but are there
> >> objections to starting the transition process?
>
> If we were to use git, we should have one git repository per package,
> and also provide one repository which includes all the packages as
> submodules. This will allow both partial and full checkouts, just like
> with svn.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

If packages-repositories would be hosted on a service like github,
gitorious, .... it would be a very nice addition.  That would open up a
lot of opportunity for non-dev/non-tu users to create pull requests in
an easy way, leading to possible more input/help from the broad
community.  In that case i'm very much in favour of this switch.

If we only switch to git to switch to git because it is more popular and
people are more used to it, I don't see the advantage. For what we are
using it, svn is in my oppinion easier to use than git.

--
Ike