[arch-dev-public] Moving KDE3 and Gtk1 from [extra]

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:09:47 EDT 2014

Hi,

KDE3 and Gtk1 are pretty old by now. Upstream development has stopped
and the few pages that still needs the "kdelibs3" or "gtk" package
seems to be of less importance.

The topic was discussed briefly on IRC and there were only positive
comments about making this move.

One of the many arguments for moving them is that when upstream
development stops, we don't want to take on the responsibility of
fixing security problems with kde3/gtk1.

So, can we move kdelibs3 and gtk from [extra] to either [community] or AUR?

Here are the packages that depends on kdelibs3 (maintained by Eric
Bélanger), together with the name of the current maintainer(s):

kleansweep, Sergej Pupykin
kovpn, Sergej Pupykin
ksniffer, Sergej Pupykin
ktechlab, Sergej Pupykin
pwmanager, Sergej Pupykin
qalculate-kde, Eric Bélanger
tork, Felix Yan

Here are the packages that depends on gtk (maintained by Eric Bélanger):

dfm, Sergej Pupykin
gdk-pixbuf, Sergej Pupykin
imlib, Eric Bélanger
kiwi, Federico Cinelli
lib32-gtk, Pierre Schmitz
madman, Sergej Pupykin
manedit, Giovanni Scafora
xmms, Eric Bélanger
libdv (optional+make), Jan de Groot
twin (optional), Sergej Pupykin
librcc (make), Sergej Pupykin

The only two packages I think might be worth extra concern here is:

* imlib: needed by dfm, fvwm (should be possible to compile without
depending on imlib), kuickshow and tksystray.

* libdv: used by a lot of packages. gtk is listed as both optional and
a make dependency. I assume this means that it can be compiled without
Gtk1.

Which packages should be moved to [community] or AUR as a result of
kdelibs3 and gtk being moved, is up for discussion.

I think the timing is right for this and there seems to be consensus
that moving them is a good idea.

--
Best regards,
  Alexander Rødseth