[arch-dev-public] Moving KDE3 and Gtk1 from [extra]

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:13:33 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> KDE3 and Gtk1 are pretty old by now. Upstream development has stopped
> and the few pages that still needs the "kdelibs3" or "gtk" package
> seems to be of less importance.
>
> The topic was discussed briefly on IRC and there were only positive
> comments about making this move.
>
> One of the many arguments for moving them is that when upstream
> development stops, we don't want to take on the responsibility of
> fixing security problems with kde3/gtk1.
>
> So, can we move kdelibs3 and gtk from [extra] to either [community] or AUR?
>

> Here are the packages that depends on kdelibs3 (maintained by Eric
> Bélanger), together with the name of the current maintainer(s):
>
> kleansweep, Sergej Pupykin
> kovpn, Sergej Pupykin
> ksniffer, Sergej Pupykin
> ktechlab, Sergej Pupykin
> pwmanager, Sergej Pupykin
> qalculate-kde, Eric Bélanger
> tork, Felix Yan

I prefer the GUI of qalculate-kde but I could live with qalculate-gtk.  I
use this not very often.  Therefore I wouldn't mind removing kdelibs3 from
the repos.  We might also remove qt3 as well.

> Here are the packages that depends on gtk (maintained by Eric Bélanger):
>
> dfm, Sergej Pupykin
> gdk-pixbuf, Sergej Pupykin
> imlib, Eric Bélanger
> kiwi, Federico Cinelli
> lib32-gtk, Pierre Schmitz
> madman, Sergej Pupykin
> manedit, Giovanni Scafora
> xmms, Eric Bélanger
> libdv (optional+make), Jan de Groot
> twin (optional), Sergej Pupykin
> librcc (make), Sergej Pupykin
>

> The only two packages I think might be worth extra concern here is:
>
> * imlib: needed by dfm, fvwm (should be possible to compile without
> depending on imlib),

Last time I check, it wasn't possible. As fvwm is the WM I use (I believe
it has also decent usage statistics), I would like to keep them in the
repos.

So, in conclusion:

 0 for removing kdelibs3
-1 for removing gtk1