[arch-dev-public] providing grsecurity in [community]

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 21 01:54:19 EDT 2014

Hi again,

As you might have noticed, I do not care too much about grsecurity,
however I do care very much about doing things the right way. That's why
I'll only respond to this:

[2014-04-21 01:21:16 -0400] Daniel Micay:
> The mailing list wasn't the only place where I've discussed this. It has
> been a topic of conversation on various IRC channels, where numerous
> trusted users and developers voiced support for it. I don't think a
> vocal minority on the mailing list represents a consensus against it.

The arch-dev-public mailing list is *the* medium of discussion between
developers and trusted users. That's why all of us have access to it,
and that's why all of us are expected to read it. And it really is the
*only* one: not all of us have access to #archlinux-dev or #archlinux-tu
and not all of us follow arch-general or aur-general.

And when I say "medium of discussion", the "discussion" bit is extremely
important! It's not just a poll you or someone else conducts by asking
people privately on different channels, it really is: a discussion where
everyone is free to raise arguments for or against, then if a consensus
emerges we follow it, otherwise we vote.

I believe we are all reasonable people, and just as my opinion might
have evolved after reading the arguments of that mysterious developer
you mention, the opposite may also happen. That's why discussing is so
critical.

Now I'm sorry to say this but it seems to me you have handled this issue
in the worst possible way: ignoring community feedback as you saw fit.

--
Gaetan