[arch-dev-public] libreoffice-still install messages

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Sat Aug 16 16:33:32 EDT 2014

Am Thu, 7 Aug 2014 10:11:02 +0200
schrieb Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b at bpiotrowski.pl>:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 22:33:30 +1000
> Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > As an aside...  why name the package libreoffice-still and not just
> > keep libreoffice?  As a user I would expect "pacman -S libreoffice"
> > to find some form of libreoffice.
> >
> > Allan
>
> I can't really give a good answer, as I'm for keeping plain
> "libreoffice" too. Another possibility is "libreoffice" virtual
> package provided by both -still and -fresh, but I'll abstain before
> Andy returns.

We can drop install messages about splitting now.

Note: The splitting has been reduced in LibO 4.3 packages
(currently the LibO - "fresh" branch).

About the branches: LibreOffice has two releases at a time. Those are
called libreoffice-fresh and libreoffice-still. "Fresh" ist the one
with new features and usually with bugs many users can't accept in a
production use case. The LibO community does maintain a 2nd branch
called "still" for critical use cases. The "fresh" releases becomes the
new "still" release when a new major "fresh" release happens after 6
months.
In the past Arch shipped the "fresh" releases from .1 or .2 minor
releases but they were still very fresh and sometimes a serious
feature is still broken at that time. Pointing user to ABS and "patch
yourself" is pretty unfair with that large package that takes ages to
compile. So we went forward and ship now both branches. This will also
help upstream with more users of the fresh branch and earlier bug
reports from a distribution use.

About the name "still": That's an upstream decision we take over. We
don't want to prefer one or the other branch. So there is no more a
simple "libreoffice" package. pacman -S libreoffice should force the
users to decide one or the other branch.

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice-Still-tt4117297.html

There's some info from upstream devs about the branch naming scheme.

For safety the -still branch packages will replace the old
"libreoffice" packages. It's just release in the same branch LibO 4.2.5
to 4.2.6. I'll put a note about the new -fresh branch into the new
-still install msg.

-Andy

-Andy