[arch-dev-public] systemd 209 in [testing]

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Feb 20 12:13:17 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 05:52:14PM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 20.02.2014 17:33, schrieb Dave Reisner:
> > - libsystemd-{login,journal,daemon,etc}.so are deprecated, and the
> >   symbols have been merged into a singular libsystemd.so. You'll still
> >   see the legacy library names, but they're now just a bunch of IFUNC
> >   symbols. Please raise up any build problems and try to nudge
> >   respective upstreams to move to the new library name.
>
> Do you expect any build problems? And why do projects explicitly need to
> move?

No, I don't. Projects need to move because the compat libs won't be
around forever. We're probably talking a timeline of O(years) before
they go away, though.

> Can't we simply do a rebuild (if needed), disable the compat libraries
> but keep providing the compat .pc files for a while?

We would need to hack up the .pc files to use -lsystemd instead of
whatever they provide, and then rebuild. What do we stand to gain from
this instead of passing off the work to upstream?