[arch-dev-public] Upgrading Apache to 2.4

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Feb 27 08:46:56 EST 2014

Pierre Schmitz schreef op 27.02.2014 13:04:

> I did push a rebuild PHP into [staging]. I had to add a hack to keep
> the
> non-ZTS build that can only be used with the prefork MPM. For some
> reason PHP devs thought it would be a good idea to base a PHP compile
> time option on the stat of an Apache runtime config. Some day we might
> just drop mod_php; I cant think of any sane usage of this SAPI. Am I
> correct that Apache can now use FastCGI without third-party modules?
>
> Anyway, I suggest in the end we should post an announcement on the
> front
> page. IMHO that install message is not really needed then, but that
> might be debatable.

FastCGI is possible with mod_proxy_fcgid and mod_fcgid, but this has
some side-effects:
- mod_fcgid can't connect to php-fpm
- mod_proxy_fcgid doesn't pass DOCUMENT_ROOT to php-fpm, so you would
have to setup weird rules or multiple php-fpm pools for every vhost

Since mod_fastcgi still works with some patching there's not a big
issue at this moment.

I don't see real need for mod_php either, when I initially tested
Apache 2.4 it was giving weird issues. I replaced the mod_php setups
with mod_fastcgi + php-fpm a while ago. Though fastcgi adds some extra
overhead, the event MPM brings much more advantages that makes it worth
switching.
IMHO mod_php with ZTS is not a good alternative, it adds additional
overhead and you're still not sure that 3rd party libraries won't screw
thread safety.