[arch-dev-public] Virtualbox binary modules maintainer

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Jul 16 13:39:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 07:26:16PM +0200, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> Ehlo,

500-NOTAMAILSERVER

> Last maintainer of virtualbox binary modules has resigned.

I guess this is/was you?

> These packages[1] are generated from  virtualbox-guest-dkms and
> virtualbox-host-dkms each time a new linux or linux-lts package are
> released.

Relevant pkgbases are 'virtualbox-modules' and 'virtualbox-modules-lts',
since this isn't obvious from your package list.

> Is there a volunteer to take care of them and handle rebuilds ?

I'm not interested, but this is pretty vague. How much time is involved?
How often? Are there open bugs? Have you worked with upstream at all? Do
they suck?

> Although, I would prefer remove them and let users build vbox modules
> with the dkms package. That handle perfectly multiple kernel
> installation and simplify our job.

DKMS is pretty lousy without hook functionality in the package manager.
The whole point is that you can trigger this seamlessly on
install/upgrade. Dropping this means that you "simplify our job" by
pushing off more responsibility on users. There *will* be bug reports if
you just drop these packages.