[arch-dev-public] Kingsoft Office License

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 18 12:41:47 EDT 2014

[2014-03-18 16:34:23 +0800] Felix Yan:
> I recently received a license from Kingsoft to redistribute the office
> productivity suite "kingsoft-office", and I want your opinion about if it
> looks good to us, or if any modifications have to be made.

I skimmed through the license and Section 2 indeed seems pretty bad: we
must (1) fill out a web form before redistributing the software and (2)
guide (some? any?) third party who wishes to redistribute it to do so
lawfully; if there are issue with this third party, we are held jointly
responsible...

Like Andy, I believe we should really avoid proprietary software when
open source alternatives are good enough. So I guess the question is:
how bad do you want that office suite in our repos?

--
Gaetan