[arch-dev-public] brynhild down a.k.a pkgbuild.com

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Mar 24 13:11:49 EDT 2014

Am 22.03.2014 18:15 schrieb =?UTF-8?B?SW9udcibIELDrnJ1?= <biru.ionut at gmail.com>:

> Update, they found nothing, that's not a surprise and we always had a
> problem with it (bit flip problem from time to time).
>
> I think is time to stop using this server and get a newer one.
>
> You guys mentioned that ecc it's a must. They have ex60 now with 32gb with
> intel xeon. for 69€/mo and for an additional ip we can have ipmi access as
> well but setup is 99€
>
> My idea is to move forums/wiki/aur on this on since we struggle a bit with
> ram on alderaan and use alderaan as build box.
>
> What do you guys think?
>

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Ionuț Bîru <biru.ionut at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just to let you guys know, the server became unstable and unreachable 2
> > hours ago.
> > Is rebooting by itself couples of times and then is unreachable and cannot
> > be even hard rebooted from the interface.
> >
> > The guys from hetzner are performing a hardware check right now, they said
> > it may take up to 10-14 hours.
> > Sadly, I won't be available more to follow this, Florian is getting all
> > the emails from support.
> >
> > --
> > Ionut
> >

> --
> Ionut

Hi,

A replacement for alderaan would be great as we could easily use more RAM for our DB. I'd even say the EX40 with SSDs might be worth a look. That would probably solve our forum search issues by brute force. I'd prefer this over ECC, but I wouldn't argue if we can pay for both.

As for the current alderaan server: I'd say we cancel this as well and get at least an EX40 as build system. It's faster, has better disks and four times the RAM. The monthly fee is the same.

Greetings,

Pierre