[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Add ARM to archlinux.org

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Mar 24 18:50:17 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:35:36PM +0100, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you may know I'm running ARM[1] since the last maintainer resign in
> August 2013. I would like to propose its addition into our official
> services.
>
> My current suggestion is to keep the current server and hierarchy and to
> move it under an archlinux.org subdomain. So far, best suggestions are:
> - archive.archlinux.org
> - museum.archlinux.org
> - rollback.archlinux.org
>
> Current cost in byte is:
> # du -hcs 2013 2014
> 111G    2013
> 55G     2014
> 165G    total
>
> In a second time, we could:
> - move the files on an official server

Does 2013 cover the whole year? You're suggesting that 2014 will occupy
over 200GB. We'd need new infrastructure for this, and it comes with a
monetary cost we'd need to accomodate (or are you proposing that you'll
be paying for this forever?). Have you looked into how much this would
be per month with a potential provider? How much bandwidth is associated
with this? How long would packages be retained? What about resource
planning for future growth?

> - move installer backups[2]

Not sure why old install ISOs are interesting for anything but
nostalgia.

> - add AUR

This doesn't make sense. We already have a git repo which does a far
better job of compressing the deltas between versions of text files.

> - backup them (by mirroring or others)

There's going to be a large cost here and I doubt it's any potential
benefit. Do you get complaints/requests from your users to mirror your
implementation?