[arch-dev-public] nvidia 334.21-3 / nvidia-lts 334.21-4 pulled from [testing]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 27 11:15:21 EDT 2014

Am 27.03.2014 16:02, schrieb Felix Yan:
> Hi all,
>
> The nvidia-modprobe binary was provided in the "nvidia" / "nvidia-lts"
> packages, but this doesn't work well because the two packages should not be
> prevented from installing together.
>
> To fix this, I've pulled the two packages from [testing], and will upload a
> new nvidia-utils package containing the binary to [testing]. FS#39203 and
> FS#39636 will be closed if the new package fixed everything. (A setuid binary
> is not good, but no trivial workaround was found)

Seriously, that is a crappy solution. If nvidia would properly register
its devices with linux, these devices could be created dynamically. It's
really up to nvidia to fix their kernel module.

(By the way, the /dev/nvidia* devices do not even generate proper
uevents and thus cannot be caught by udev or systemd. I wish they would
stop relying on a closed-source kernel driver with debatable quality.)