[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [arch-general] Java 8

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 30 05:21:25 EDT 2014

Hi devs,

A new major version of Java went out recently [0]: "OpenJDK 8" but we
do not have a package for it (for the following reason) and some
Archers are asking questions [1] or flagging our openjdk7 package as
out of date:

All Linux distros - including Arch - build OpenJDK using the IcedTea
project [2]. Its goal is to cleanly build OpenJDK from Oracle, bring
some more feature and it **was** also to re-implement closed source
parts. I expected IcedTea to quickly release a version for OpenJDK8
but it seems this is not their first priority [3] (which I totally
understand). Nowadays there is no closed source part anymore in
OpenJDK, and the license is clearly "GPL with classpath exception"
which is a standard in the Java world.

I have been working on a package based on OpenJDK8 built from source
but without IcedTea that I think would fit to our repos. I still have
some work for it to be released but I would be in favor of pushing
this "OpenJDK without IcedTea" to extra until IcedTea v3.0 stable is
out and could be used to build/augment our package.

Any thought/objection/remark about?

[0] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/announce/2014-March/000166.html
[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-March/035700.html
[2] http://icedtea.classpath.org