[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [arch-general] Java 8

Guillaume Alaux guillaume at alaux.net
Sun Mar 30 07:36:59 EDT 2014

On 30 March 2014 11:46, Andreas Radke <andyrtr at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:21:25 +0200
> schrieb Guillaume ALAUX <guillaume at archlinux.org>:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > A new major version of Java went out recently [0]: "OpenJDK 8" but we
> > do not have a package for it (for the following reason) and some
> > Archers are asking questions [1] or flagging our openjdk7 package as
> > out of date:
> >
> > All Linux distros - including Arch - build OpenJDK using the IcedTea
> > project [2]. Its goal is to cleanly build OpenJDK from Oracle, bring
> > some more feature and it **was** also to re-implement closed source
> > parts. I expected IcedTea to quickly release a version for OpenJDK8
> > but it seems this is not their first priority [3] (which I totally
> > understand). Nowadays there is no closed source part anymore in
> > OpenJDK, and the license is clearly "GPL with classpath exception"
> > which is a standard in the Java world.
> >
> > I have been working on a package based on OpenJDK8 built from source
> > but without IcedTea that I think would fit to our repos. I still have
> > some work for it to be released but I would be in favor of pushing
> > this "OpenJDK without IcedTea" to extra until IcedTea v3.0 stable is
> > out and could be used to build/augment our package.
> >
> > Any thought/objection/remark about?
>
> How about using icedtea master bzr shots to build openjdk8 until they
> publish a release?
>
> -Andy

I should have mentionned: I tried that. It turns out the last
pre-release of IcedTea points at source tarballs (hotspot, jaxp,
corba, ...) that are not available anymore. One solution there could be
to get in touch with IcedTea and ask them to put these tarballs back
or create a new pre-release. Or to create our own tarballs. This
should not be too long to get all this to build.