[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Add ARM to archlinux.org

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Mar 30 13:59:53 EDT 2014

Am 24.03.2014 23:35, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> Hello,
>
> As you may know I'm running ARM[1] since the last maintainer resign in
> August 2013. I would like to propose its addition into our official
> services.
>
> My current suggestion is to keep the current server and hierarchy and to
> move it under an archlinux.org subdomain. So far, best suggestions are:
> - archive.archlinux.org
> - museum.archlinux.org
> - rollback.archlinux.org
>
> Current cost in byte is:
> # du -hcs 2013 2014
> 111G    2013
> 55G     2014
> 165G    total
>
> In a second time, we could:
> - move the files on an official server
> - move installer backups[2]
> - add AUR
> - backup them (by mirroring or others)
>
> Current used scripts are freely available here[3].
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ARM
> [2] https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/archive/
> [3] https://github.com/seblu/armtools

Hi,

In general I think having a reliable package archive would be quite
beneficial to us and our users. IMHO we should support such an effort
financially and technically. I had used the original one to find a few
regressions and also test certain upgrade scenarios.

I would feel bad if we base our technical decision on a
misinterpretation or abuse of some users who are unwilling to read
documentation or warnings. Of course downgrading will be kept
unsupported.

I think we really shouldn't name it ARM or use the word rollback at all.
Let's call it package archive. That's more to the point and neutral
related to its possible usage. So I guess names like
archive.archlinux.org or museum.archlinux.org should be safer to avoid
misunderstandings.

I would also concentrate on the first step for now. We could setup a
master server that holds the old packages of one or two years (depending
on the available disk space). We should also setup a rsync setup like we
have on nymeria and see if we can find people who like to mirror it.
About 200GB is quite a lot, but not that unrealistic to host. The
traffic should be way less than for a regular mirror though.

Greetings,

Pierre