[arch-dev-public] [Draft] - News announcement for GHC 7.8.2

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:46:43 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:

> Extract it, edit the pkginfo, repackage with the
> same cmd makepkg uses.
>
> Since it has been released already you should also increase the pkgrel
> and make sure to also update the pkgbuild. Then simply use testingpkg
> to push it.
>
> Don't use vim to edit the tarball "directly" since that will move the
> pkginfo at the end of the package making pacman slower. (tar tf $file |
> head; should list the pkginfo as one of the first entries)

Thanks! This worked beautifully. I tested the update using a custom repo
and it removed the transformers package along with upgrading the existing
packages. Also, adding a provides ghc=7.8.2-2 saved a whole lot of time.
You guys are awesome :)

updated draft:

Title:
Managing Haskell packages with GHC 7.8.2

Content:
Changes that come with the release include:
1) Moving every package that is not ghc or cabal-install to [community].
This will allow better support of the core common haskell libraries since I
do not actually use these packages due to cabal-install.

2) The valid paths that a user can take to install packages are the
following:

 a) Using cabal-install to install haskell packages. This allows the user
to access every haskell package in hackage. The problem is that you are now
using packages that are managed outside of pacman. This is usually the best
option if you are developing any haskell applications due to the new
sandboxing that cabal-install 1.18 has introduced.

 b) Using pacman to install haskell packages. This allows the user to have
access to a small subset of hackage packages which are known to work on
archlinux and are usually good enough for non haskell developers.

 c) Using an unofficial repository called Arch Haskell. You could find more
information about the repository at the following page:
https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/blob/master/README.md