[arch-dev-public] [Proposal] add python 3 support for gvim in [extra]

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:08:30 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org>wrote:

> Going by what we have done so far I'd support simply pushing a python3
> default gvim package and a split gvim-python2. By convention, that
> _is_ the "right" answer. Otherwise, no objections, so +1.

I guess providing a gvim with python3 support and gvim-python2 replacing
older versions of gvim would work.

One of the problems why I think we should remain with gvim as python2 is it
would provide no confusion for existing users of gvim.
On the other hand if we enable python3 for gvim, we would probably have to
make a news announcment about it.
Also a major plugin that I know of that doesn't support python 3 yet is
youcompleteme for vim [0] which we would probably have to include in the
announcement.

I'm open to your idea though. Anyone else have any thoughts about Ray's
suggestion?

[0] - https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/587