[arch-dev-public] Bringing libcl 1.2 into Arch

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat May 31 16:47:44 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> The BIG Question
> --------------------------
> We once had problem that there were no suitable ICD loaders part the
> one from nVidia. Now we have two. The question is which one to use.
>
>   * opencl-icd is the reference ICD loader from Khronos. It uses a
> custom license (or at least a license I don't know) which seems to
> forbid distributing of sources, but which explicitly allows
> redistribution of the compiled binaries
>
>   * ocl-icd is an independent project under 2-clause BSD license. I
> think from the two this one has longer development
>
> Lukas

As there are not many comments regarding the libcl to use, I decided
to ask on the ocl-icd upstream whether it can be considered production
quality [1]. I would prefer the ocl-icd over the Khronos libCL due to
the clearer licensing (BSD license vs. custom license).

[1] http://lists.forge.imag.fr/pipermail/ocl-icd-devel/2014-May/000005.html