[arch-dev-public] Realtime group and possible helper package

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 12 08:14:22 UTC 2014

Hello folks

I am looking to provide support for a 'realtime' group, for use with
not just audio/video but any other/future applications of real-time.

The 'audio' group will "remain" for backward compatibility,
indefinitely. I can therefore either create the new group or users
have to do it.

If I choose to create the group then I'd have to do it from within a
package since multiple other packages are affected (jack*).

--[ background ]--
Historically, the audio group for real-time multimedia has served two purposes:

1. Permissions for real-time scheduling (i.e. PAM)
2. Permissions for device access (e.g. FireWire, RTC, HPET)

This new group relates mostly to (1). In the event the 'audio' group
proves to be a problem for devices, the new group can be used.

This means that a jack user will be in both the 'audio' and 'realtime'
groups in this new scheme.
--[ background ]--

If nobody objects I'll go ahead and create a new package that creates
the new group and configures the relevant permissions.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1