[arch-dev-public] Realtime group and possible helper package

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 12 08:55:13 UTC 2014

On 12 November 2014 14:28, Jan Alexander Steffens
<jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
> The approach of handing out real-time permissions via group or even to
> individual users isn't secure, as even the minimum RT priority of 1
> can be used to DOS the system. We really want something else for
> future applications. Perhaps we can push systemd into adding a TODO to
> gain something similar to realtimekit for use by both applications and
> systemd user services.

You're absolutely right, especially if we're talking about other
applications of real-time.

The case with multimedia has been about single-user (sometimes
offline) systems mostly, but with the proliferation of capable
multimedia networked devices this can and will change.

Nevertheless, these users presently would benefit from not being tied
to the audio group. I remember there was an issue with
systemd+pulseaudio where being in the group meant not being able to
give up perms for user switching.

I'm not sure how many users will complain if I just let them create
this group instead of doing it for them (and reserving an ID, which I
did before on a testing update but reverted).

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1