[arch-dev-public] Changes to microcode updates

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Sun Oct 12 15:13:51 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 15:28, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> For AMD, a similar mechanism is available, but since I don't own an AMD
> CPU, I cannot implement this. This causes problems, since the microcode
> update is no longer triggered automatically on boot (since microcode is
> no longer a module). If you want to update the AMD ucode, you probably
> need to run
>  echo > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload
> on boot. I hope someone with an AMD CPU will look into this.

I generated amd-ucode.img with the following commands:

  $ mkdir -p kernel/x86/microcode
  $ cat /usr/lib/firmware/amd-ucode/microcode_amd*.bin \
      >kernel/x86/microcode/AuthenticAMD.bin
  $ find kernel | bsdcpio -o -H newc -R 0:0 >amd-ucode.img

In syslinux.cfg I specified (w/ separate /boot partition):

  INITRD ../amd-ucode.img,../initramfs-linux.img

While the above works fine on my desktop and microcode is updated early
like it's supposed to, my laptop with the exact same configuration just
hangs at the message "Booting the kernel."