[arch-dev-public] Dropping logrotate from core/base

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:09:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just pushed a logrotate package to testing that is no longer part of the base group. This also means that this package can be moved from core to extra.
>
> Any objections? I am not sure about e.g. wtmp faillog etc. So I might just need to revert that change.

wtmp and btmp need to be rotated. Other services (notably here: cups,
nginx, apache, libvirt, postgresql, samba) also expect to have their
logfiles rotated. I believe we should continue to install *and run*
logrotate by default until we can get rid of wtmp and btmp and move
services to use journal or syslog.