[arch-dev-public] [RFC] New package: vte3-2.90

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Sun Sep 28 20:26:39 UTC 2014

(I would really like opinions from our GNOME maintainers on this.)

Seeing as vte3 0.38.0 in [testing] has a new API, I went ahead a
created a todo list to rebuild the packages that depend on the old
libvte2_90 library. [1]

Patches that port the affected software to the new API might not be
available at the moment and it could be a while until upstream
developers add support for vte-2.91 (see [2] for an example).

To solve this I suggest we keep the old library around for some time
to allow software to be ported to the new API.

The actions taken would be to:

1) Repackage the old library as vte3-2.90 (or vte-2.90, not sure about the name)
2) Move etc/profile.d/vte.sh from vte3 to vte-common to fix the file conflict

(Example PKGBUILD is attached.)

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/todo/vte3-0380/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/sakura/+bug/1337962