[arch-dev-public] Dropping vi and adding vim-minimal to the installation image

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 21 13:27:32 UTC 2015

On 30/03/15 08:29, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 30/03/15 01:15, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>> This was discussed about two years ago but no action was taken.
>>
>> The proposal is simple:
>>
>> - Drop the vi package from the repos
>> - Add vim-minimal to the installation image
>>
>> This seems like a good idea because the vi editor we ship is about 10
>> years old and it has never behaved correctly for me.
>>
>> It was brought up that some applications hardcode vi as their fallback
>> editor, but I think it should be up to the user to configure proper
>> EDITOR or VISUAL environment variables. During installation, none of
>> these programs needs to launch an editor (perhaps with the exception
>> of visudo which I can configure to search for vim). [1]
>
> Or...  just add a symlink from vim to vi?

What happened to adding a symlink?  Now there is no "vi" in base, many
packages there are broken out of the box - sudo (visudo), bash
(bashbug), less (when pressing v).  There is bound to be more...

Or are we having all those packages depend on vim?

I never had vi installed on my system and had to make the symlink to vim
because there was so many things that wanted it.