[arch-dev-public] Dropping vi and adding vim-minimal to the installation image

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Tue Apr 21 21:00:12 UTC 2015

On 21/04/15 23:45, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> As long as the EDITOR variable is supported by those programs, maybe yes.
> But I don't think creating a symlink *anyway* and make vim provide vi
> is inappropriate.

Yes, the VISUAL/EDITOR environment variables should still be honored by
these applications. It's only the default fallback editor that is going
to change.

I'm slightly against adding a vi symlink. That suggestion made sense so
as not to break programs that use vi as their default editor. With nano
as the default editor, there's no technical reason to do this anymore.