[arch-dev-public] C++ ABI rebuild announcement

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Thu Dec 10 04:19:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:02 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Here is a draft announcement.

Please go ahead and post the announcement; I have started the move and
it should complete in an hour or so.

I have made a couple of comments bellow.

> --BEGIN--
> C++ ABI rebuild
>
> GCC-5.x release libstdc++ with a dual ABI [1].  We have now switched to
> the new ABI.
>
> While the old C++ ABI is still available, it is recommended that you
> build all non-repo packages to have the new ABI. This is particularly if

Missing "important" after "particularly".

> they link to another library built against the new ABI.  You can get the
> list of packages to rebuild using the following:
>
> for i in $(pacman -Qqm); do
>   if pacman -Qql $i | xargs readelf -d 2>/dev/null | grep -q
> libstdc++.so.6; then
>     echo $i;
>   fi;
> done

I think the above can't handle paths with spaces but perhaps there are
usually no such paths? I made a slightly different script which should
work well enough:
https://gist.github.com/foutrelis/12c419c37f472f480195