[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archive.archlinux.org

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 20 00:09:44 UTC 2015

On dim., 2015-12-20 at 09:32 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 20/12/15 09:26, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> > I plan to move back agetpkg to extra next week if there is no objection.
>
> I am assuming agetpkg is for dealing with archived packages (which are
> unsupported).  The reasonv for not including AUR helpers in the repos
> was that they give what appears like supported access to unsupported
> content.  Why should agetpkg be considered any different?

I think there is a difference between outdated official packages and non-
official packages. The last may not have the level of quality, trust and be
harmful for a system. So preventing helpers to be in official repository make
sense.

In the other hand, agetpkg helps to retrieve previous official packages in
order to troubleshoot or rescue a broken system when they are missing in
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/X.

I think what is not supported is non-official packages and reporting issues
about non up-to-date packages, not downloading an outdated one.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42