[arch-dev-public] Packages added to todo list 'Perl 5.22'

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Tue Jun 2 19:17:03 UTC 2015

On 02.06.2015 19:47, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> What if I want perl to be in optdepends, not depends?

Even if it is possible to put a versioned entry in optdeps (I don't
know), it wouldn't help really because pacman doesn't actually check
those. Just omit it and rebuild as always.

I've now also updated the TODO list so this is hopefully a bit clearer.

The reason behind this dep is that perl binary modules only work with
the abi/api of the perl used to build. As it happens minor releases
didn't break abi/api so far, but major ones do and normally perl prints
a nice error telling you about the issue.

Sadly, last year it segfaulted and when you tried to track down which
module actually caused the segfault you could easily get on a wrong path
and I got quite a few bogus bug reports until I finally tracked it to
one package being rebuilt against the wrong repo, a couple people
running locally built modules from cpan and some having aur packages
that were not rebuilt.

I hope this dep will make it easier in the future (well once aur
packages adopt the template).

If you have an idea how this could be solved for optdeps I'd be happy to
hear it.