[arch-dev-public] Packages added to todo list 'Fix source file names'

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 2 18:45:31 UTC 2015

[2015-03-02 12:28:46 -0500] Dave Reisner:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 06:49:13AM -1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>
> > If upstream's tarball is called v0.4.1.tar.gz then I'd rather not
> > override that...
>
> Not sure you've presented any reasoning here other than "I'm lazy".
> Don't worry, I'm with you on that, but I think we can do better here
> without increasing maintenance burden.

My reasoning is that there's no reason to complicate our PKGBUILDs to
fix something I don't consider a problem. We should really just be able
to copy-paste an upstream URL; and if the filenames collide I'd rather
have this fixed automatically rather than manually in every PKGBUILD.

> Another option would be to teach makepkg to shard out SRCDEST by
> $pkgbase, allowing source contents to be "namespaced" to a degree.

We could also do what wget does: use the full URL as path. So the source
file http://github.com/libfoo/v0.4.1.tar.gz would end up being
downloaded as $SRCDEST/github.com/libfoo/v0.4.1.tar.gz .

That's clean and generic. Are there any tools that rely on SCRDEST and
that would be disturbed by a change like this?

Cheers.

--
Gaetan