[arch-dev-public] Merging UID/GID database into filesystem

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 10 20:58:06 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Following up on the User/Group management TODO list [1], I'd like to
merge the users and group from the UID/GID Database [2] into the passwd
and group files our filesystem package provides.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/todo/usergroup-management/
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database

We all obviously think of these UID and GID as static, and Allan even
argued that they should never be removed, so it makes little sense to
create them dynamically in packages' post_install scriplets, especially
since their values must already be hardcoded into the PKGBUILD to avoid
the new pacman warnings (even before post_install creates the UID/GID).

So for those of my packages that have an entry in [2] I'd like to
replace the UID/GID management part of the install scriptlet by entries
in the passwd and group files in our filesystem package. And I'd also
like to invite other devs to do the same.

Are there any objections, comments or suggestions on that?

Cheers.

--
Gaetan