[arch-dev-public] agetpkg in [extra]

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 17 17:50:42 UTC 2015

On 17 October 2015 at 20:24, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [extra] is where devs push their packages and maintain them. Likewise
> with [community] and TUs. Nothing more.
>
> I don't really care where agetpkg should land; both [extra] and
> [community] are official repositories and they offer the same easy way
> to users to get older packages.

Generally what we've practised is this: if you're interested in
bringing something into [extra] you propose it. Nobody normally
objects. Otherwise every dev who is a TU could theoretically put
anything in [extra].

>From https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories

"extra contains all packages that do not fit in core. Example: Xorg,
window managers, web browsers, media players, tools for working with
languages such as Python and Ruby, and a lot more."

Then:

"community contains packages that have been adopted by Trusted Users
from the Arch User Repository. Some of these packages may eventually
make the transition to the core or extra repositories as the
developers consider them crucial to the distribution."

Read: "as the developers consider them crucial to the distribution"

So, yeah, it's of course up to you to decide whether it is crucial,
and ask the rest of us for objections if you're not sure. Anyway, feel
free to ignore me.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1