[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archive.archlinux.org

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 20 01:21:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 11:49 +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 22:46:49 +0200 Sven-Hendrik Haase
> > <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> > > I like that project. However, why would we need a new server?
> > > Can't we
> use
> > > the space and bandwidth of an existing host? I'm not too
> > > knowledgeable
> > > about our current servers so maybe Florian could shed some light
> > > on
> that.
> >
> > nymeria has about 500gb free space so that's not enough. luna and
> > celestia only have 240gb ssd storage each.
> >
> > At least a couple months ago Hetzner said upgrading an EX40 to an
> > EX40-hybrid is possible so I guess we could ask them if they can
> > also
> > add the hdds to celestia. Doing so would raise the price from
> > 59€/month
> > to 69€/month. That would give us 2TB of additional storage, but I
> > don't
> > know if we'd want to host the archive on the build server.
> > Opinions?
> >
> > Florian
>
> I think this quite a fine solution if that's possible from Hetzner's
> side.
> I don't mind the stuff being hosted on the build server. In fact,
> it's
> probably a good candidate because it doesn't really need its
> bandwidth
> anyway except for short periods of time when people upload packages
> and the
> other resource requirements probably won't conflict. Especially so
> since
> the data of this project would be hosted on another set of disks.
>
> Apart from that, I don't see anything wrong with adding cower to the
> repos
> along with a helper to download old packages as suggested by Daniel
> (but
> lets keep the discussion about the AUR helper stuff in another
> thread).

The archive server is io-bound[1], and use network bandwidth to
snapshots repositories and serve files through http.
When the build server is cpu-bound with few network traffic and may
suffer of the archive disk usage.

A year of snapshots is about 460GiB, so we can host 2 years of snapshot
on a 1TB server.

So, my preference would go to take one separate server with unlimited
traffic and dedicated disks. OVH and Online.net lease these kind of
servers (don't find such at Hetzner).
If we go trough this option, I suggest this one:
* Online: Xeon E3 1220v2, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB, 300Mbps, 29€ HT [2]

but cheaper alternatives may also fit (with no RAID).
* OVH: i5-750 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 1x2 To HDD, 100 Mbps, 14,99 € HT [3]
* Online: Intel C2750, 8GB RAM, 1x1To HDD, 200Mbps, 15.99€ HT [4]

Upgrading celestia is also a suitable solution.

Cheers,

[1] See attached graph for metrics
[2] http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic
[3] https://www.kimsufi.com/uk/