[arch-dev-public] Consensus: DKMS modules

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:23:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 08:07:34PM +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2016-04-13 15:44, Ike Devolder wrote:

> >> Please don't add modules for -zen to the repos. They create a maintenance
> >> burden I don't want to support. Let -zen users use DKMS; they never had any
> >> prebuilt modules anyway.
> >
> > That makes it easier for me. So we stick to binary modules for [core]
> > kernels and the rest does dkms as a middle way.
> >

> Let's wait for Andreas opinion on this, but I think that binary modules
> for -lts are unnecessary. I always used this kernel for servers (where I
> don't really care about Virtualbox or Nvidia…) and sometimes a fallback
> if -ARCH is broken.
>
> Bartłomiej

So after 2 or 3 mails we divert further from what I presumed was a sort
of consensus. Could we just take this to a vote or something because
this sort of impasse will only hurt the users.

1. vote for binary modules

- -ARCH
- [core]
- other?

2. vote for dkms

- all out-of-tree modules provide dkms
- dkms if the maintainer of the module is willing to do it
- no dkms (no longer an option I think)

proposal flow for kernel + binary module updates

- use separate repo [kernel-update{-testing,-staging}]
- announcement to the module maintainers there is an update for a kernel
- module maintainers build and push the packages in the respective repo
- kernel maintainer can move kernel + modules in the main repo

--
Ike