[arch-dev-public] Hooks rebuild #1

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:52:06 UTC 2016

Hi

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:29:49 -0700
> Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dependencies like gtk-update-icon-cache/desktop-file-utils should be
>> installed by those who *needs* the tool functionality. Not by the
>> packages that *provide* icons/desktop files.
>>
>> It this case desktop environment should depend on desktop-file-utils
>> that maintains the cache up-to-date. And if a user has no UI (headless
>> setup) then no point in updating this cache.
>
> While I agree completely, Allan brought up the case of installing the tool
> after the fact, which won't necessarily trigger the hook. In the example you
> gave, the desktop mime cache wouldn't be created until you install something
> else with a .desktop file.

I think it makes sense to enhance the hook system to make sure hook is
run when it is installed. But if it cannot be done then "update cache"
should be run in post_install() of desktop-file-utils similar to what
gtk-update-icon-cache package does [1].

> More things would need the desktop mime cache, though, such as xdg-utils. This
> would pull it in on many more systems.

I agree that xdg-utils uses desktop mime cache and it should depend on
desktop-file-utils.

[1] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/gtk-update-icon-cache.install?h=packages/gtk3