[arch-dev-public] Long out of date packages

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Wed Aug 17 21:30:57 UTC 2016

On mer., 2016-08-17 at 21:35 +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2016-08-17 21:20, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
>> Even without my question on IRC, you at least got out-of-date
> notification and Florian's message about rotten packages.
I see Florian message (good initiative btw). It makes me review my flagged
packages and be happy to not have "more than one year" flagged packages.
It has remembered me that I have Ceph to update. I decided after that to
prioritize packaging updates over devops in the next weeks in order to fix this
(one package).

>  There is also a bug report stating that package is unusable, created in
> February.
The jerasure code was not enabled in this package. It never works, the rest of
ceph yes. I've 300 hypervisors running Arch with this version. I see no big
deal.

> Is that really not enough?
Enough for what? If you really wanna help me, you just talk to me and offer
your help, but you don't send a rocket on the public list.

«Seb, I think we are providing a bad user experience to not updating Ceph since
so long» would be a better approach.
I get a user offering his help by mail few days ago about docker 1.12. A
stranger, not a guy I work with like you.

Moreover, I got the same issue with e2fsprogs (not a package like ceph used by
few braves) recently. Package was not updated since ~1 year and it prevented me
from upgrading my raid array to 30TB.
I sent a nice mail to the maintainer and asked him if I can upgrade the
package. He was ok. I did it[1]. End of story.

> > This kind of threat is inappropriate.
>
> Lack of communication on your side is inappropriate. If there is a good
> reason not to upgrade a package, put that information somewhere, instead
> of letting it decay.

I don't see much communication about why packages are not updated. Why are you
asking me think others don't do? Why are you targeting me where is this so much
package more out-of-date ?

You sent a resignation mail 1 year and half ago, since then I never see you as
active and not communication about that. That's lack of communication.

I'm spending enough hours by week to works on that projet to not have to
receive this kind of direct attack.
I say it again, this kind of threat are not acceptable between us. Please never
do that again.

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/e2f
sprogs&id=0da897c5e716cd201fc31307991cf875c2c90abd

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://seblu.net | Twitter: @seblu42