[arch-dev-public] Moving arduino into [community] important notes

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Thu Dec 1 15:35:13 UTC 2016

On 11/28/2016 01:34 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2016-11-26 18:01, NicoHood wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>> I've got a few concerns when moving arduino into community. Lately we
>> could solve most bugs, but those require some manual installation steps
>> that I want to explain here, and those possibly need additional
>> information on the front page:
>>
>> Some (very old) arduino installations (somehow) left over the empty path
>> /usr/share/arduino/hardware/avr which will cause a crash with the new
>> arduino installation:
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
>> /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt (No such file or
>> directory)
>
> How did it get created in the first place?

It must be a leftover from some old AUR packages. I myself cannot
reproduce this bug, I only got this reported from a few other users
who've been using arduino longer than I maintained it. I dont want to
call it a pacman bug (possibly not anymore), otherwise its possibly
black magic. However this happened to quite some people.

>> The 2nd issue is when people try to upgrade from an older version of
>> arduino that provided arduino-builder. It will fail to install as the
>> new version says "oh, arduino-builder is already installed". It then
>> tries to remove arduino and the arduino-builder dependency is not
>> satisfied anymore. This only affects a small number of versions, but
>> still raise up on AUR. I am not sure if this got fixed in pacman by now.
>
> I don't understand this point. What fails to install new version? What
> pacman bug you are talking about?

As far as I remember this got fixed. I also tried to reproduce this and
it seems it got fixed.

>> Since such many upgrade problems raised up, I think it is highly
>> recommended to sum those up in a short news at archlinux.org and then
>> push arduino to community.
>
> Because of your vague description, it's hard to say if that's true.

Especially because so many problems occurred it would make sense to let
people know to uninstall and the reinstall arduino.

On 11/28/2016 08:26 AM, Antonio Rojas wrote:
> El Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:34:38 +0100, Bartłomiej Piotrowski escribió:
>
>> There is no way to remove epoch, ever. I know it looks ugly for some
>> packagers, but there is nothing to be ashamed for. We have it for a
>> reason, and if it's been added, it stays.
>
> I thought AUR packages were unsupported. Sure, it is nice to give them a
> higher version number when they are moved to the official repos to allow
> for a smooth upgrade, but that shouldn't be an enforced rule IMO. And
> removing epoch is a reasonable enough reason not to do it.

I agree with that too. And with the other arguments above this can be
justified if you ask me. If we do it this way it would be easier for
others to notice the change and fix their installation. Without a news
people will start contacting me or on IRC how the hell they can fix
arduino (as AUR will the not exist anymore).

It would just make sense to do the suggested steps. If you dont want, I
dont need to. My installation works, other peoples possibly dont.

Cheers
Nico