[arch-dev-public] Moving arduino into [community] important notes

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 2 19:32:53 UTC 2016

> On 11/28/2016 08:26 AM, Antonio Rojas wrote:
>> El Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:34:38 +0100, Bartłomiej Piotrowski escribió:
>>
>>> There is no way to remove epoch, ever. I know it looks ugly for some
>>> packagers, but there is nothing to be ashamed for. We have it for a
>>> reason, and if it's been added, it stays.
>>
>> I thought AUR packages were unsupported. Sure, it is nice to give them a
>> higher version number when they are moved to the official repos to allow
>> for a smooth upgrade, but that shouldn't be an enforced rule IMO. And
>> removing epoch is a reasonable enough reason not to do it.
>>

> I agree with that too. And with the other arguments above this can be
> justified if you ask me. If we do it this way it would be easier for
> others to notice the change and fix their installation. Without a news
> people will start contacting me or on IRC how the hell they can fix
> arduino (as AUR will the not exist anymore).

So on one hand you say that it deserves a news post and on the other you
agree that AUR should be considered unsupported. Seems contradictory?

Anyway, it looks like it could be handled with post_upgrade function.
The problematic directory can be simply removed, you can also print
message saying about deleting ~/.arduino15 (but guard it with vercmp
please).

Bartłomiej