[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Dec 12 21:02:05 UTC 2016

On 12/12/16 at 09:51pm, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> against that architecture. No, I don't do even smoke tests – I assume
> that i686 works if x86_64 does. (Don't beat me up too hard for that.)

I know for sure that you are not the only one :)

> I'd like to set a certain date of dropping i686 completely. During that
> time, community and/or interested packagers could come up with either
> automated build solution, making it "tier 2" architecture. Otherwise it
> would just die of natural cause.

I'm in favor of an auto build solution, since this has multiple
bonusses. We could extend the auto build solution for reproducible
builds (yay!). Auto rebuilds and maybe later when vendors get their act
togehter (aarch64 *cough*).

--
Jelle van der Waa