[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Tue Dec 13 23:52:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:04:44 +0100
Balló György via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Because I still use an i686-only system occasionally, and I prefer to
> keep old hardware working with my favourite distribution. I agree that
> building packages manually for a small percentage of users is
> pointless. But most of the packages can be built for i686 without any
> modifications. We just need an automated build server, which takes the
> job.
>
> --
> György Balló
> Trusted User

I guess I don't see this as a good reason to support it. I use an i686 system
occasionally, too, but saying that a distro should support it for those edge
cases just makes no sense to me. What we've actually got is a situation where
we claim i686 support, but it's actually very poorly supported. Better to let
it die and let Arch focus on what it does well.