[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1

jan at jgc.homeip.net jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Dec 14 15:55:01 UTC 2016

Giancarlo Razzolini schreef op 2016-12-14 14:47:
> Em dezembro 13, 2016 19:02 Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-dev-public
> escreveu:
>>
>> A bit +1 from me for dropping i686 sooner rather than later. The less
>> have to care about it the better.
>>

> +1 about dropping i686 support entirely. Even though you can find
> working i686
> hardware, specially on other countries, I just don't think it is
> compelling
> reason for keeping it.
>
> Cheers,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

It's not about the hardware. Anything that can run x86_64 can also run
i686.

I still use i686 hardware that is incapable of supporting x86_64 (Core
Duo), would be sad to see support getting dropped. On the other hand,
archlinux should focus on x86_64. At this moment we just build and
commit i686 packages, nobody actually runs any tests with i686. At this
moment there's a wide community maintaining ARM packages for archlinux,
probably i686 should do the same in the near future.

Also, if it's about legacy hardware, why i686 and not just i586 instead?
i686 is not about performance anyways.