[arch-dev-public] out of tree modules and alpm-hooks

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Fri Feb 19 01:27:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

I pushed into community-testing a new version of dkms, with an alpm hook to
build oot modules at install time, instead of at startup time with the systemd
service.

The hooks is very simple; it build and install dkms registered modules for all
installed kernel version when a package ending by -dkms is installed or
updated.

So, installing or updating a *-dkms package (e.g virtualbox-host-dkms or
nvidia-340xx-dkms) build and install the shipped modules and allow to use it
like the binary package (e.g modprobe nvidia).

As a consequence, loading of oot modules at boot are back to modules-load.d
logic.

If everything works correctly, we could get ride of pre-compiled oot modules
packages (e.g virtualbox-host-modules) for linux and linux-lts and offer a
unique approach for all kernels (arch, lts, zen, grsec).

Do you think we should define a better way to match package which should
trigger dkms rebuild? I firstly thought to use a provides=('DKMS_MODULE'), but
alpm hooks don't match provides.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer