[arch-dev-public] [arch-devops] [RFC] Planning testing of the new dbscripts

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Wed Feb 24 17:41:54 UTC 2016

On 24/02, Florian Pritz wrote:
>Work on improving dbscripts[1] has resumed and thanks to Gabriel Souza
>Franco we finally have something[2] that should easily support git
>packages as well as debug packages, split packages across multiple
>repos and with different arches. It has lots of new tests, but it could
>really use a field test and we need to figure out how we want to deploy
>it once we are satisfied.

Oooh, awesome!

>The new dbscripts no longer change the svn repo so the repos subdir
>is not needed any more. All they require is some form of a tag (like a
>git tag) to fetch the PKGBUILD. This means we are pretty much free to
>use whatever we like (including git) as long as we can tag stuff. For
>the time being we can stick with svn if we like.
>
>Using tags obviously requires that the existing repositories are
>migrated and that devs/TUs use the new scripts that generate them. This
>migration is required for the new svn layout and if we switch to git. It
>is probably a good idea to do both at once so people don't have to
>update twice, but I'll only do that if we plan this thoroughly.
>
>Currently we treat also extra/core and community separately, but I think
>there is no real reason for that apart from that we migrated it like
>that from gerolde. If possible, I'd like to get rid of this distinction.

If this means a single git tag for every package, and for every release
of each package, this won't work sanely if we're going to use a single
git repo. We'd run into the same problem we had with the AUR where even
when we used ref namespaces it will announce /all/ the refs when you try
to clone, which ended up causing really slow clones, and even timeouts,
when trying to clone any package at all from the AUR.

>RFC: As for testing, I'd like some input on my (rather preliminary)
>migration plan[3] and opinions on whether we want to test it directly on
>nymeria or somewhere else.

Looks fine to me overall.

--
Sincerely,