[arch-dev-public] signoffs are dead

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Fri Jul 1 20:18:24 UTC 2016

Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> on Tue, 2016/06/28 08:09:
> For a while now packages in [testing] have gotten little to no signoffs
> and I've been moving mine to [core] after a week without feedback. I
> suspect many of you have been doing this too.

Yes, probably everybody does. ;)

I do not run a system with [testing] enabled by default. I need my main
system in production every day - stable and reliable.
Packages that I really do want and/or need end up in my personal repository
for testing, though. I do give spare signoffs, but that packages received
real testing then.

Possibly we should modify the process a bit: Expect a package to be fine
when it received enough signoffs - as is. Additionally add a NACK feature that
expresses something is (possibly) borked. If the package did not receive a
NACK within 48 or 72 hours it is expected to be fine as well.
Our bug wrangler Doug could have an eye on bugs that look critical and set
NACKs for the packages.

Increasing the number of people with signoff permission may help as well. How
about a new user group for signoffs?
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)