[arch-dev-public] signoffs are dead

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:07:44 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-01 at 21:24 +0200, Florian Pritz via arch-dev-public
wrote:
> Am 2016-06-30 09:41, schrieb Johannes Löthberg via arch-dev-public:
> > That has actually come up on IRC a lot of times over the last
> > couple
> > years, users asking how to sign-off packages / if they can help
> > signing-off.
>
> I've already got 4 people willing to help, but nobody here voiced an
> opinion on this matter yet. Do we want such tester from a dev/TU
> perspective?
>
> Florian

I think it makes a lot of sense. If there are people willing to
contribute in this area, it would be wise to accept the help. Testing
and signoffs doesn't need to be something restricted to an inner
trusted group of people. Developers could always make their own
decisions based on who signs off on packages.

I stopped using [testing] since my focus has increasingly on other
projects (i.e. work) and I don't have time to spare on coping with more
issues from upgrades. That means I'm no longer testing the packages, so
I'm not able to do signoffs anymore simply based on my regular usage of
the packages. Perhaps others are in a similar situation.

When I was using [testing] (i.e. until recently), I often didn't sign
off for packages that do get used a bit on my system because I didn't
consider it thorough enough testing even if it's just supposed to be a
basic smoke test to make sure it links and runs at all.